“Look Within” is the theme for the 2019-2020 Reflections Art Program. This amazing program increases community awareness of the importance of arts in education. Reflections encourages students of all ages to:
- Unleash creative talents and be inspired
- Express themselves imaginatively in their artwork
- Experience the fun and joy of making art
- Tap into critical-thinking skills to create art inspired by the annual theme
- Receive positive recognition for their original works of art.
Call for Entries!
PARTICIPATION IS EASY, EXCITING AND EMPOWERING
All students preK-5th grade are invited to participate and submit original artwork in one of six areas: (click on specific area for RULES)
Artworks are submitted first to school-level PTAs, where they are recognized, celebrated and judged, while a non-judged Special Artists division celebrates student artists with special needs.
A well-developed concept is more important than technique. Entries will be judged primarily on how well the student uses his or her artistic vision to portray the theme. Many times, the artist statement will make a huge difference during judging because this is where the artist can explain in their own words, their thoughts and feelings for their piece.
School-level PTAs then choose a selection of entries to be judged by Austin PTA council. The final artworks submitted to Texas PTA by councils are then considered for Awards of Excellence or Awards of Merit. Award of Excellence entries then go on to represent Texas in the final National PTA judging round.
NOTE: Students can enter multiple areas of competition with each completed entry form submitted.
Artwork is divided into divisions:
- Primary: preK-2
- Intermediate: 3rd-5th
- Special Artists
Entries are due Friday, October 25, 2019. Entries should be placed in the box labeled Reflections in the front office.
Reflections Gallery Celebration and Awards
Thursday, November 14, 2019, 5:30-6:30PM in the Mills Cafeteria
At least one person from the primary household of each entrant must be a current member of the Mills PTA.
- Student must fill out an entry form (found in the front office or here) for each entry.
- Entry must include a title and artist statement. The artist statement communicates what inspired the work, how it relates to the theme, and the content of the work. The statement must include 10-100 words.
- Entries must be the student’s individual creativity (adult help is prohibited except for Special Artists)
- Each entry must be the creative product of 1 student even though other individuals may appear in the work
- Use of copyrighted material is prohibited, except for recorded music in dance choreography and film production entries
For more detailed information read the official Participation Rules.
Note: there is one change to the official rules – CDs and DVDs are not acceptable forms of submission. All submissions must be on a USB thumb drive / flash drive / memory key / thumb drive
For additional questions, contact Kathy Adelson at firstname.lastname@example.org